Saturday, August 23, 2008

You're never too old to be a fangirl

My mother (age 87) is a fan of Malley Keelan, a local Irish tenor. She loves watching the show he hosts on TV every Saturday night, and she loves listening to him sing. She even looked up information about him on the internet and found out all about his family. She printed out one of the songs he sings, so she could play it on the piano.

So when I heard he was going to be the featured soloist at an outdoor band concert, I asked if she wanted to go. "Oh, yes," she replied. We sat in the front row and enjoyed the concert. Afterwards my mother approached the stage with her walker. I strode on ahead and called out: "Malley, can you come meet my mother? She's a big fan of yours." (I remembered Malley from visits to his record store years ago, though I doubt he remembered me.)



He was a very gracious "star." He came over and gave her a big hug, then stood for a while and talked with her. I snapped the pictures, and then sent them to my brother, who added them to the photos in her Ceiva (digital picture frame). Imagine her surprise when the photos of her with Malley appeared the next day. She didn't even know I had taken them.

Now, if only it was that easy to meet David Cook . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment