Saturday, December 3, 2011

Velvet Shoes - "Let us walk in the white snow."


We had our first snow today, and I went walking in the falling snow. It reminded me of the poem "Velvet Shoes," by Elinor Wylie.  Some say this poem has symbolism of love and marriage. To me, it's just a good example of poetry.  I use it in my poetry writing class to demonstrate excellent use the poetic elements of simile, metaphor, alliteration, repetition, unusual words together (i.e., white silence), and involving all the senses.

Because this poem was written in 1921, it is in the public domain.  I have illustrated it with photos that I took during today's walk.


Velvet Shoes
Let us walk in the white snow
In a soundless space;
With footsteps quiet and slow,
At a tranquil pace,
Under veils of white lace.

I shall go shod in silk,
And you in wool,
White as white cow’s milk,
More beautiful
Than the breast of a gull.

We shall walk through the still town
In a windless peace;
We shall step upon white down,
Upon silver fleece,
Upon softer than these.

We shall walk in velvet shoes;
Wherever we go
Silence will fall like dews
On white silence below.
We shall walk in the snow.








1 comment: